Thursday 19 April 2007

New Bed

A couple of weeks ago, browsing through the Argos catalogue, I found that they had an offer on some edging. It's like 6" logroll to look at, but is rigid, 1metre 2cms long. I had been planning for some time to create a new bed on the north side of the garden (south facing fence), next to the decking, which is less shady than the other side.The south side of the garden is overshadowed by a 6ft+ high fence. (see photographs of the rockery)
Anyhow, I duly purchased 2 packs of the edging, 2 pieces in each, and set about creating the bed. Originally planned to be 2mts long by 1mt deep, this would have left me with one piece of edging left over. (What would I do with one odd piece of edging?) so I changed the plan and it became 2mts square.
Firstly I had to remove all of the weeds (including the dreaded Couchgrass) from the area. No mean task when your normally supported on at least one crutch. I dug the whole area out to a depth of about 12", stacking the soil to one side, then hammered in the 4 pieces of edging. I then covered the inside of the edging pieces, the fence and the edge of the deck, with a layer of damp proof material, as the soil level is going to be 6" higher. The whole area was then covered in landscape fabric, stapled in position, and I set about refilling.
I sieved all of the soil from the hole to remove the worst of the weed roots, also added some sieved ash from previous bonfires(also sieved) and a bag or two of multipurpose compost. Then I had to set about digging soil from a mound in the garden (spoil from the footings for the conservatory, which has been there for years, the rest of which will eventually be spread out to level the garden). This also needed to be sieved. Any weeds that reappear afterwards can easily be treated to a dose of Roundup.
As a result, we will, when it's finished, have a nice new flower bed, in which it is planned to have (for starters) a climbing rose in each of the back corners(Schoolgirl and Golden Showers), with a pink Jasmine going up a fan trellis in between them. I also have several large Dahlias to plant, and some 50 or so gladioli. For this year, I will also sow several swathes of various annuals, and maybe a row of bedding Begonias along the front.
Pictures to follow when it's all planted up.

No comments: