Monday 23 April 2007

Planting at the allotment.

Well, over the last couple of weeks, I have managed (with help from my wife), to dig a little of the plot, and we have managed to get the broad bean plants in, and some more sown. Also, the garlic is in, and half of the onion sets,(all three brought on in pots at home) and most of the early potatoes. Oh and half a dozen Chard plants (strictly for the wife, as I hate it).
Earlier we had managed to get the fruit bushes in at the front of the plot. Black and redcurrants, gooseberries, and rhubarb all growing well. There was already an established bed of autumn raspberries, and a couple of thornless blackberries further up the plot, both of which I severely cut back in February, in an attempt to be able to train them on wires instead of just flopping wherever they felt. We bought a few summer rasperries, but these are being brought on in a container for this year, along with another gooseberry plant.
It's been too hot for me to consider doing any serious digging, but our next door plot neighbour has offered to do a bit for us every time he goes to his plot. Apparently our plot, although worked on by the previous tenant, (in his eighties) has only been dug in dribs and drabs, wherever he wanted to grow something. Last time we went up to water what is already in, it looked like he had actually dug about another 4 feet for us. Not only dug, but also broken up and raked level. BLESS HIM. I still have to dig the bean trench and get shredded paper and composted farmyard manure into the bottom, AND put up their canes. At least when that's done, from a distance it will be more obvious that something is being done. I think we might end up spraying roundup over a lot of the top of the plot, and then covering it with a tarpaulin until the autumn digging season starts ready for next year.
At the moment, I can't actually do a lot of digging because of my knees. (Still waiting to hear from the hospital, when I am to go in for surgery on my left knee). I work for 10 mins and then have to sit down for 10. Even using a terrex fork/spade,(So I can keep both feet on the ground, I push it down with my body weight) is hard work, and I always end up with bruises all over my upper body.
The greenhouse is now groaning with the weight of things at various stages, being prepared to go in up at the plot. Carrots have been sown in the raised bed at home, and the strawberries are in the other bed. This last weekend, I put the toms for the greenhouse into their final containers, and my wife prepared the bed for the ones which will be going out alongside the greenhouse.(A bit too early yet to actually plant them out). There are runners, dwarf beans, various cabbages, more toms, cues, caulis, broccoli, calabrese, peas in toilet roll tubes, all just staring to sprout. There's dahlias begonias and various other tender flowering plants being started off in there too.
We also have 2 of the 4 tier shelf units , which are also laden with hardier stuff.
Meanwhile, I have commited to putting a new border in the garden, but have the same problem digging wise, so that is taking ages, especially as the area was a bed of couchgrass before, so I am painstakingly trying to remove all the roots, and the bed is raised, so I am having to import soil from other parts of the garden.
Enough for now, I'm of to watch "The Big Dig".

No comments: